Monday, June 22, 2009

R.I.P. Old lady cart 2004 - 2008


Allow me to take a moment and pay tribute to a grand old lady, who served me well both in city and suburb, sidewalk and gravel path. Here she is in my trash room, waiting to go to her final resting place in the trash heaps of Cook County.


She finally gave out in December aught-eight, when I ill-advisedly loaded her down with a couple cases of alcohol & other beverages and a few hundreds dollars worth of groceries for a Christmas party.

The old lady cart is a crucial member of Team Flea. And a source of much admiration, both at the flea markets and in the city, where she accompanies me for grocery trips. Overheard at Ohio and Fairbanks: "Now THAT'S the way to get groceries."

Yes. Yes it is.

Never fear, the cart has been handily replaced in time for flea market season 2009 and will appear in the blog. Jen C has obtained her own plus-size old lady cart, actually better than mine, but I for one will miss her size 0 old lady cart even though, as a dealer at Elkhorn commented, "that duzn't hold shit." But it did hold shit. Held it for at least 5 feet before spilling Jen's Herman Miller chairs to the ground. I'm not sure how the chairs made it back to the car, parked miles away, but I feel sure it had something to do with the fine piece of American engineering pictured here.

No comments:

Post a Comment